Wednesday 21 January 2009

Want to read a challenging book?

I just finished reading a very insightful, very challenging book about urban ministry and helping the poor. It is called Compassion, Justice, and the Christian Life: Rethinking Ministry to the Poor by Bob Lupton, one of the most respected and experienced trailblazers in this area of ministry. The book is actually a nearly identical reprint of one of his earlier books titled And You Call Yourself a Christian. If the former title isn't enough indication of the convicting nature of this book, let me assure you, it is hard to walk away unchanged after reading. However, while the book is unapologetic in its sometimes-harsh approach, its urgency and force is not without cause or firm Biblical foundation. This book has caused me to rethink almost every single model of outreach to the poor, including many of which I have endorsed and taken part. It has caused me to examine not only my heart motivation for reaching out to the physically and spiritually needy, but it has also forced me reexamine the the ways that I do this. And particularly for our church, how will we reach out to those in need in our communities? I challenge each of you to find and read this book if you ever want to know how to best obey Christ's commands to care for the "orphans, widows, and the least of these". It is a short book full of personal examples and stories of Lupton's own failures and incremental growth to reach the point at which he now is.

On the topic of Urban Ministry and community development, I am also currently reading Theirs is the Kingdom by Lupton, Restoring At-Risk Communities by John Perkins (widely considered one of the grand-fathers of urban ministry in America), and Ministries of Mercy by Tim Keller. Each of these books is proving very helpful in my personal growth in knowledge and experience of urban ministry, but especially in regards to how we, as a church body, will approach the harsh realities of Woodlawn and Fairfield with the Truth, Love, Mercy, and Justice found in the Gospel. I will be sure to keep you updated on each of these reads, as well.

2 comments:

Corey Scogin said...

I definitely agree about Lupton. That's a great, really practical book.

AB said...

I did read "You call yourself a Christian" recently. Thank you for sharing about it, it opened my eyes to many approaches of evangelism.