Friday 6 March 2009

Love Your Neighbor as Yourself

"looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, " Hebrews 12:2

Tuesday night felt somewhat like a short-term missions trip, except there wasn't a departure to somewhere thousands of miles away, it was just down the street from my house. Along with three others from church, I helped bring a home cooked meal to the Homeless Shelter. Immediately upon arrival kids were running to our arms and wanting to play. The families, five total, were more than welcoming, and easy to talk with during dinner. It occurred to me that being homeless is not always a lonely person sleeping under a bridge in a box, or a guy holding a sign on the side of the highway, like I so often imagine when I think "homeless". Rather, families that resemble those you stand in line with at the grocery store, or see playing at the park. My perspective on the poor continues to be challenged as I learn about what the Bible says and Jesus teaches. The moment I remember it's not me who can change their situation, is the moment prayer and hope for their future enters my heart, thus a series of dialogues with God begin, as if I had to remind Him of His power and strength. He reminds me He is able to do "more than we can ask or think according to the power at work within us," [Ephesians 3:20]. How amazing it is to be part of Christ's body and a testimony to the grace He showed us who "were once dead in our trespasses." The gospel came alive to me Tuesday night, more than words on a page, or a prayer, but a group of Christ followers extending mercy and kindness to strangers. Now my heart whispers salvation awaits, after listening to the young lady share her doubts and issues with Jesus. Understanding that each day for these families is the hope of redemption, I'm convicted in my own heart of searching for "deservers" of grace, wow. I would encourage everyone to pray specifically and fervently towards reaching these families with the love of Christ. Our goal isn't to be a group of "do-gooders", but to genuinely care and have compassion through Christ to each of these families. To conclude, two verses come to mind, one in which Jesus teaches from Matthew 25: 35 "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me," and the other that seems to be a lot like the greatest command from Jesus "love your neighbor as yourself", from [Hebrews 13:2] "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unaware." The best part about this is that they have "received us"[Matthew 10:40]in their home, the needs are endless, and friendships are on the horizon. It's not another outreach, it's the living out of what scripture has called us to do; become benefactors of God's kingdom, set the captives free,repair the broken places, and namely to "Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved,compassionate hearts,kindness,humility,meekness,and patience.." [Colossians 3:12] I'm so humbled and thankful, Amanda-Blake Coile

1 comment:

Ruth said...

This is amazing. Very awesome! I'm praying for you guys and for the people you are loving and living in the midst of.