Friday 13 February 2009

Recent Happenings

Well, I am finally back in town...and with a regular internet connection! It is so good to be back in Birmingham and to really dig into the relationships and ministry here. My last few days of catch-up have been very exciting and fruitful! Here are a few highlights:

-during my trip to L.A., I was able to visit a place called the Dream Center, a HUGE inner city ministry, and gain several contacts and ideas for ministry
-attended a Woodlawn Business Association meeting and met several people that I had been praying for opportunities to meet-isn't the Lord good?!
-spent more time building our relationship with the Family Homeless Shelter in Woodlawn, and nailed down how our church will be getting involved VERY soon!
-met another pastor from a local church
-went by Cornerstone Christian School in Woodlawn and was finally able to sit down with Nita Thompson, Executive Director and Principle, and Shannon Bottoms, Volunteer Coordinator, and finalize specifics with them as well!
-had a great meeting with Joel and Jeff, in which we narrowed down all of my "research and relationship building" and determined how we should get involved in the community
-met with Adam Keller, who is going to do his Beeson internship with Redeemer, and will be able to help out a lot with the urban ministry end of things
-the Lord provided an opportunity for me to do a small side project for a week or two for some extra income

Well, that's the main points from the last little bit! We are about to kick off a whole bunch of new ministries in the next week or two, so stay tuned for the new updates! I have been trying to upload a video of Ms. Ruthie (one of the ladies we were able to help during Focus on Fairfield) blessing us with her voice, but it won't work...I'll keep trying...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing a great job! Excited for all the Lord has for our little family.

AB said...

I actually spent time with kids from the homeless shelter several years ago, with an outdoor group; Sierra Nature. It was amazing, leaving a permanent impression on my heart. I'm excited about the fruitful beginnings of this season. THANK YOU, for all the work you're doing on our behalf! If there's anything I can do let me know ~